| News Channels |
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
| Quick Links |
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
| Entertainment |
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
| MAO Exclusives |
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
| Weather |
| |
|
| |
| Contest Entry |
 |
|
 |
|
|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
| Two women sailors named | | By: Reuters | | Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:02 AM EDT
(Pic)- The U.S. navy base in Bahrain is seen in this undated handout (Enlarge Pic). REUTERS/U.S. Navy Base/Handout
MANAMA (Reuters) - The U.S. navy identified two female sailors on Wednesday killed in a shooting incident in Bahrain two days earlier and said a critically wounded third sailor had what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Seaman Anamarie Sannicolas Camacho, 20, of Panama City, Florida, and Seaman Genesia Mattril Gresham, 19, of Lithonia, Georgia were shot and killed at 5 a.m. (0200 GMT) on Monday, the navy said. Both had enlisted last year.
The third sailor, whom sources said is male, was not named by the navy.
"Initial indications are the three sailors were acquainted, but the extent of their relationships and the details of the shootings are still under investigation," the navy said in a statement, adding that the incident was not a terrorist attack.
The two dead sailors were killed at the navy's base in Bahrain, the home of the U.S. fifth fleet. About 3,000 staff live and work on the base, and generally keep a low profile in the tiny Gulf Arab kingdom of about 750,000 people.
=============================
Previous Article published on Monday
=============================
Two sailors shot dead in Bahrain
by Mohammed Abbas
Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:54am EDT MANAMA (Reuters) - Two female American sailors were shot dead and a male sailor was critically wounded at the U.S. navy base in Bahrain on Monday in events the navy said were not linked to terrorism.
The shootings took place at about 5 a.m. (0200 GMT), the navy said in a statement.
While the statement gave no details about the victims, a source at the base who declined to be identified said the two killed were women and the wounded sailor is a man.
Initial reports indicated the incident only involved U.S. military personnel and that the heavily guarded base was not broken into.
"Two sailors were pronounced dead at the scene and the third was taken to a local hospital for treatment. There are no indications of terrorism or a base intrusion," the navy said.
Bahrain's Interior Ministry said initial reports indicated the incident was a criminal matter.
The navy gave no explanation for the shootings, which took place in the base's barracks, and said the names of the sailors were being withheld.
Further details were not immediately available, and an investigation was being conducted into the incident.
Bahrain is a U.S. ally and the home of the U.S. navy's fifth fleet, which patrols Gulf waters, the Red Sea, the Gulf of Oman and parts of the Indian Ocean.
About 3,000 U.S. personnel, not including the crews of visiting ships, live and work on the base. Staff generally keep a low profile in the tiny Gulf Arab kingdom of about 750,000 people. | |
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
| Use of this website signifies your agreement to our Terms of Service. Please contact management immediately with any suspected instances of abuse.. |
|
Be the first to write a comment for this article!
|
| |
|
|
|
 Our website gets almost 2 million hits every month! Call 478-474-3482 or e-mail us today for great advertising opportunities!
Click here to post a classified ad with no line or word limits for 30 days for only $20!
Get a FREE business webpage (or website link) and free advertising with a listing in our Business & Website Directory! Get Linked Today!
Macon Area Online/The Macon Daily serving Middle Georgia for over six years now!
 After visiting this website you MUST click your back button to return to The Macon Daily!
|
|
 |
 |
|